Thursday, August 30, 2007

The First New Blog

So I was reading Hebrews last week and I came across this passage that confuses me. This is what is says:

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace."

-Hebrews 6:4-6

So what does this mean? Does this mean you can lose your salvation? I was always one who believed that you could repent of anything, except the unforgivable sin Jesus mentions which I read to be blaspheming against the Holy Spirit. I always thought no matter how far you fell, that God would be there to take you back again. This passage makes it seem that that is not so, that you CAN lose your salvation. If you can, what is "falling away", how far must you fall, is it only those who apostate, or do those who have doubt issues also fall under this stipulation. The idea that Salvation can be lost does frighten me. I wonder if my "I hate God" phase counted, but then I don't believe I was saved before that, so therefore I hadn't tasted the glory of heaven or all that other stuff. Still, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this right. I hope its not saying what i think it is, but really I just want to know the truth of God. Any input?

2 comments:

Kiffa said...

This is definitely one of those passages that are always going to confuse. God knows we are going to stumble, Jesus dies so that we could stumble and be able to find our feet again, I pray that i never lose my faith but I also pray that if i do God's grace is enough to accept me again. If there were restrictions on why God would love us then everyone is majorly misinterpreting the rest of the bible and what Jesus came to do. God's justice, mercy and grace all work perfectly together.

Let us hope that we are looking at this verse the wrong way.

p.s. hurah for becoming part of the blogging family. This makes me happy. You should check out some of my friends blogs, they are pretty cool too.

lotsa love.

Aims said...

So if it doesn't mean that we can lose our salvation, what in the world does it mean? Is it only wishful thinking to think that we can never mess up as much as that? I just want to know what the truth of the passage is, whether I like it or not.